It is Dungog Shire Council's aim to attract and retain the best person for each position advertised. Merit based selection techniques are used to ensure this goal is achieved.
Following is a guide for intending applicants to assist them in preparing a suitable application for a position. Please read this information to ensure you maximise your opportunity for an interview for the position you wish to apply for.
Appropriate Format for your Application
1. Application Cover Sheet
Please complete an Application Cover Sheet (provided for downloading below or available from Council).
2. Covering Letter
Provide a covering letter that introduces you and why you want to apply;
- Ensure your details including your full name, address and telephone numbers are clearly displayed on the front page; and
- Quote the position name from the job advertisement in the heading of the letter.
3. Application Form and/or Resume or Curriculum Vitae
All applicants are required to provide a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Resumes should be clear and brief and contain as a minimum, all information required by the Application for Employment.
- Please include copies of major relevant qualifications, including academic transcripts.
4. Selection Criteria Statement
Refer to the Position Description which lists all the essential and desirable selection criteria.
- Address each selection criterion listed in the position description. The best way to set out your statement is to list each criterion and then explain clearly and concisely under each one, how you meet it.
- When addressing each criterion you should provide specific details of your abilities, qualifications, experiences, standard of work and previous performance.
- Dungog Shire Council has a preference for information to be stated in behavioural terms, ie. give brief details of the situation, what you did, and the outcome of your actions.
- Please address both the essential and the desirable criteria in your statement.
5. Provide Two Work Related Referees
Include contact details of two work-related referees who could provide comments on your suitability for the position.
- Please ensure your referees know you are applying for this position.
Do not send original documents eg. certificates or references.
- Ensure your application is securely held together (staples preferred) but do not use folders or bind your application.
- Canvassing of Councillors - The direct or indirect canvassing of any Dungog Shire Councillor to support an application for a position at Council will result in that application becoming ineligible for further consideration.
If, after reading the information package, you require further information please ring the person listed in the job advertisement on (02) 4995 7777.
Mark your envelope: CONFIDENTIAL
Address your Application to:
Dungog Shire Council
PO Box 95
DUNGOG NSW 2420
Alternatively, you may email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that Council receives their application before the closing date and time which appears in the job advertisement.
Dungog Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer