In recognising the importance of agribusiness and rural industry to the shire, Dungog Shire Council has engaged consultants GHD to undertake a Rural Lands Strategy (RLS): a holistic, land use focused framework for our region’s future.
The Rural Lands Strategy will preserve our region’s unique charm for future generations by protecting and enhancing rural lands, to promote agricultural growth and diversification, environmental conservation, tourism, lifestyle and economic development.
It is a four-stage process:
- Stage 1: Background Review and Rural Issues Paper – NOW COMPLETE
- Stage 2: Policy Directions Paper – NOW COMPLETE
- Stage 3: Draft Rural Lands Strategy – ON EXHIBITION
- Stage 4: Rural Lands Strategy
The key outcomes of the Rural Lands Strategy will become recommendations for amendments to the Dungog Local Environmental Plan 2014, as well as amendments to council’s Development Control Plan, policies and local strategies.
Key actions are provided under each theme of the Draft Rural Lands Strategy. Key actions relate to:
- The introduction of the three new land use zones: RU2 Rural Landscape, RU4 Primary Production Small Lots, and E2 Environmental Conservation.
- Introduction of new minimum lot size provisions and retention of existing provisions for the RU1 Primary Production and new land use zones.
- Phasing out of the exiting holding provision in the Dungog LEP affecting rural dwelling entitlements.
- Identifying select areas of R5 Large Lot Residential zoned land for rezoning to a more appropriate zone.
- Identifying select areas of land for rezoning to an environmental zone, based on site characteristics.
- Introduction of overlays in the LEP to address scenic protection and terrestrial biodiversity.
Appendix A: Proposed Land Use Matrix
Appendix B: Proposed Land Use Tables
Appendix C: Draft Indicative Proposed Zoning Mapping
Appendix D: Draft Scenic Protection Mapping
Appendix E: Draft Terrestrial biodiversity Mapping
*** Your Chance to Have Your Say! ***
The draft Rural Lands Strategy document is on public exhibition from Monday 23 August to Monday 4 October 2021, and we want to hear your thoughts.
All submissions will be considered by the Dungog Rural Lands Strategy Steering Committee and council, prior to preparation of the final document.
Help create a shared vision of Dungog Shire’s future by submitting your thoughts in writing, via email: email@example.com, or by post to: Dungog Shire Council, PO Box 95, Dungog NSW 2420.
Please note that, unfortunately, late submissions cannot be accepted.
For questions or enquires relating to the Rural Lands Strategy, please contact council’s Strategic Planner, Em Tischner, on (02) 4995 7777.
Rural Lands Strategy: Project Steering Committee
The role of the project steering committee is to review project documentation, provide feedback and guide the development of the strategy.
Rural Lands Strategy Fact Sheets
Other Project and Background Documents