Noise Nuisance - Barking Dogs

Prior to Council commencing any barking dog investigation, Council requires the person(s) affected to have undertaken certain actions including:

    1. Talk to the dog owner

The owner may not realise their dog is bothering you, especially if it barks when they are not home. In many cases, they will be happy to work with you to solve the problem. 

     • Be courteous - sometimes they may not know how to go about fixing the problem so be prepared to assist with information

     • Be specific - tell your neighbour if the dog is barking at certain times or at certain things and give them an opportunity to correct the problem.

    2. Contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC) if the problem persists

CJC specialise in settling differences between neighbours without entering into a complicated legal processes. A CJC representative can meet with you and the dog owner to solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate.

    3. Contact Council if the problem persists after mediation through the CJC

Council will only investigate if noise reports are made by two separate households or more. Noise diaries may be provided to affected residents to determine the noise frequency and its impact. Residents that complete noise diaries must be prepared to give evidence in Court to support their complaint.  Council WILL NOT investigate a noise complaint without a completed noise diary by a complainant.

Council are unable to accept reports of excessive barking via mobile phone applications such as "snap send and resolve".

    4. Seek a noise abatement order

If the matter only affects your household, you can apply for a noise abatement order. To learn more on the process and apply for an order, contact your local court or speak to a legal adviser.  For free legal information, you can call LawAccess on 1300 888 529.




Dogs Daschund in Harness.jpeg                                             Dogs Kira Close Up.jpeg