Councils vision for the Shire is, " A vibrant, united community, with a sustainable economy. An area where rural character, community safety and lifestyle are preserved."
Council's Mission Statement
"To manage, enhance and protect the resources of the Shire in consultation with the Community."
Dungog Shire Council was established on 1st August 1958 after the amalgamation of the Dungog Municipal Council and the Wallarobba Shire Council. Today the Shire has a residential population of approximately 9,000 and is continuing to grow at a steady pace. Dungog Shire Council has its administrative base in Dungog with work depots at Dungog and Gresford. Council also acts as an agent for Service NSW with Council staff able to assist with most transactions.
Residential Population: 8,975 (2016 Census)
Number of General Rates Assessments: 4968
Area of the Shire: 2248 sq km
Regional: 123.72 km
Local Sealed: 334.42 km
Local Unsealed: 270.02 km
There are also 126 bridges across the road network.
Dungog Shire Councillors
Dungog Shire has three Wards being A, B and C with three Councillors elected from each of the three Wards giving a total of nine Councillors.
On the 26 September 2017 Councillor Tracy Norman was elected as the Shire's Mayor for a period of two years. On 18 September 2019 Councillor Norman was re-elected as Mayor until the Local Government Elections in September 2020 when Dungog Shire will elect a popularly elected Mayor for the first time.
Council Organisational Structure
The General Manager is responsible for the day to day running of the Council and is supported by the Senior Management team.
Council's Organisation Structure is available for viewing and downloading.
Council under Sec 355 of the Local Government Act has delegated certain roles to management committees appointed to control various community facilities throughout the Shire.
Those management committees are as follows:
- Gresford School of Arts Hall Management Committee
- Clarence Town School of Arts Hall Management Committee
- Vacy School of Arts Hall Management Committee
- Martins Creek School of Arts Hall Management Committee
- Paterson School of Arts Hall Management Committee
- James Theatre Community Centre
- Clarence Town Community Centre
- Paterson Sportsground Committee
- Gresford Sporting Complex Committee
- Vacy Sportsground Committee
- Dungog Showground & Recreation Reserve Management Committee